Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Little Things...

You know when you decide to do a little project that should just take a few minutes and then it turns into 2 weeks? Yeah, I had one of those moments a few weeks ago. 

When we moved into our house (three years ago now!) there were four closets that had the two bi-folding doors. I'm not sure why, but I've never been a fan of these. So when I saw a pinterest idea for making them into french doors I jumped on it. Plus, it seemed so simple! I'll spare you the boring and sad details of all the little problems I ran into, but here's the short version:

I got simple little wood pieces at Lowes, about a half to three quarter inch thick, roughly six inches long and an inch wide. It didn't need to be precise, we just needed to mount two magnetic closures on it, like this:

I drilled the wood onto the upper inside frame of the closet door, and then attached the metal piece (from the magnetic closure kit) to the actual door. I lined the door up with the frame then attached the magnet part to the wood, so when the door closed up all would line up correctly. 

I then took simple brackets and attached them to the folding part of the doors (in three spots: top, bottom, and middle of the door) so they would stay straight rather than fold in together. 

Voila. Make shift french doors from bi-folding doors:

A few of the doors didn't seem to line up exactly the same on both sides of the closet, so some of the wood blocks ended up looking like this:

I could definitely piddle around to make everything nice and perfect, but let's face it: I am not that girl. :) 

I'm glad I did it, since now I can actually use all of the space in each closet instead of being blocked by the folding doors. Honestly though, it didn't make as much difference as I thought. But still, it's a step in the right direction to making this house how we want it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment