Pages

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

House Projects

We have still been working in the house, little by little. One of the most recent things I have done is hung some decor in the dining room. This is a rubber mat, spray painted white. I am trying to decide whether to sand it some to copy the look from the website, or just leave it white. Opinions?




Sorry about the horrible pictures, you will have to use some imagination. :)  I got the idea from here, and thought it looked really pretty but still simple. Not to mention cheap! And I needed something somewhat large on that wall. I still need to add some sconces to each side, but then I think that will be it. I don't like to overdecorate, just to fill a huge space. Once the table is centered, new light fixture installed, etc., I think it will be a nice clean space.  


Eden and I also did some new decor for her room. She is all about ballerinas these days, so I thought it would be fun for her to paint some dance pictures on a couple of canvases. Here she is getting her creative side going:




These are just stick-on stencils from Hobby Lobby, leftover from a baby shower project. 




All done and ready to hang:



Here they are hung in her room above her changing table. This is the wall we eventually want to have the tree mural, so this looks fairly simple on such a large wall. Any ideas on how to help it look a little more beefy?




We also made her a little reading nook, as inspired by pinterest. Check out my inspiration here, herehere and here. The book shelves are just $5 spice racks from IKEA, spray painted white. The letters are from Hobby Lobby for $3 each.



As she gets older I would like to expand it to something like this with shelves around it, but for now it is a cute addition to her room decor. Plus, she loves saying the letters out loud to spell "read." :) 

Current projects include sconce hunting for the dining room, assembling an IKEA light fixture for the entry, spraying/hanging shelves (the same spice racks from IKEA) in our bathroom for my hair products and such, and a futon makeover. Pics and posts to come!

5 comments:

  1. looks great!! I bet she is proud that she painted those. :) One suggestion that I have...is I like things in three's, it is visually appealing to my eyes. lol. So maybe add another canvas with the slippers on the other side, but flip the stencil over so the slippers face in the opposite direction as the first. Does that make any sense? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes - I had to read that a few times, but I gotcha now! Good idea. I think maybe that was one of the problems, I like things in three as well but I couldn't peg what the problem was. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. you should get some ballet slippers with the laces that tie all the way up the thigh to hang on the bar with the canvases. and maybe a little ballet outfit with a tutu to hang up there too - and when she's old enough she can wear it! i LOVE the reading nook!! and i like the spray painted mat. i saw that on pinterest and was interested - where did you get the mat and how much was it? i like it all white but i like it a litle distressed too. i guess it depends on your preference. either way it looks good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, great idea!!! I will have to do some experimenting with all of your ideas. Thank you!

      I got the mat at Lowes for $20. The website I used said she got hers at dollar tree, but she got small ones, I think. If you could find small ones for a dollar, you could even do a set of two or three on a wall together and it would still be cheaper!

      Delete
  3. Hhmm, that is a good idea too. That wall is so stinking huge! I am going to see if the Dollar Tree carries them.

    And what about this ballerina project?? :)

    ReplyDelete