Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Recipe Reviews

I have been trying to experiment with some new recipes to get out of the same old, same old all the time. Here are reviews on 4 of my most recent newbies!

First up, Peanut Butter Fudge (found here, through pinterest).  I pinned this because it was a weight watchers recipe and I have been craving sweets recently. The recipe was somewhat time-consuming, but basically you brought the sugar mix to a boil:




Added confectioner's sugar, mixed well and spread out into a pan to refrigerate:



Then cut into squares:



I was super excited to taste them, but honestly they tasted exactly like our family's buckeye recipe (which is delicious!) but this recipe was more complicated. Next time I will just make the real deal. :) 

Next up is a Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake (again through pinterest, here). We had fresh blueberries from the farmer's market (Eden loves them). Jason was home on Saturday morning last weekend so I decided to make a special breakfast. This turned out really good, and was even better the second day. 




Saturday night we had Jason's best friend, Ken, over for practice (they sang a duet and I played for church the next morning) and dinner. I had made everything before except this chicken recipe, called Sweet Garlic Chicken. It was very tasty, although I think I needed to double the recipe for the glaze (I like a LOT of flavor). 



Served with green beans (with onions and bacon):



Potatoes au gratin, courtesy of Omaha Steaks (10 points if you can see the face):



And zucchini cornbread:



A recipe I have been wanting to try for a while is mashed cauliflower. I really don't like cauliflower but I have heard it is supposed to be a good switch from mashed potatoes. I gave my favorite paleo girl, Jennie's recipe a whirl and thought it was great! Jason wasn't a huge fan, but the more I ate it the more I liked it. Very light and fluffy, not so heavy as potatoes. It was a bit of a pain to make and it is a bit runny, but overall a good experiment. I will make it again, for sure (sorry the picture is in a leftover container, I forgot to snap shots as I prepared it):



Last up is not a recipe I tried, but a picture of what my sweet friend brought us for dinner one night (again my paleo friend, Jennie). We were supposed to have dinner with her and her husband last Friday, but after a very long and difficult week I rescheduled. She was so kind to offer to still bring her part of the dinner (basically all of it, minus the salad) and wow am I glad! It was DELICIOUS. She brought zucchini noodles and lamb meatballs. The house smelled so amazing when she dropped it off, I couldn't wait to try it - which is why I only have a picture (once again) of the leftover containers:



Now you are probably all hungry. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment