Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Recent Recipe RoundUp

So the weekly recipe roundup has become the recent recipe roundup! I can't always get to it every week so I will just save new recipes and do a longer post, less frequently. :) 

First up, Chicken Roll Ups. By the way, in case it isn't clear, you can always click on the title of each recipe and it will take you to the website that I originally got it from. Anyway, these were delicious! The tweaks I made were using canned chicken, adding adobo (if you do not have this in your spice cabinet, get it! It is great on so many things), and halving the amount of shredded cheese in the recipe. Next time I want to use less cream cheese as well because they seemed a little too creamy. Basically, this is just shredded chicken, cheese and spices rolled into crescent rolls and baked. The outside is brushed with butter and bread crumbs, which adds a nice finish. Overall these were good, and I will probably make them again. 





Next up is Cookie Dough Balls. I was drawn to this recipe because it contained no eggs and no baking. The best thing I can say about them is that they were interesting. Not bad necessarily, but I threw them out after only eating a couple. The texture was a little strange, kinda powdery and greasy at the same time. I feel sure I will not make them again. 




I realized on the day of (Sept. 10th) that it was grandparents' day. Since my own grandparents live in the area and the kids have grandparents locally as well, I decided to whip up some cookies to show our love for them. I stalked my pinterest cookie board to see what looked promising, and what I could make that I already had ingredients for in the house. I came up with the skinny version of Chunky Monkey Cookies.  And honestly, I didn't realize they were a skinny version until Jason tasted them and asked if they were diet cookies, haha!  After he said that, I couldn't eat them without thinking they tasted weird. Maybe not weird, but definitely not sweet enough to classify as a cookie. They tasted heavily of unsweetened cocoa powder and seriously needed some kind of sweetener. I forgot to snap a picture of the finished product, but here is the batter:


I felt too bad about the taste to give them to all of the g-parents so unfortunately they ended up with delicious (store-made) no-bake cookies. I will say though that Jason had the clever idea of rolling them in powdered sugar which made them edible enough for his co-workers! :) Oh, and I also had several friends who made them and actually liked them too. Goes to show that cooking/baking is always subjective!


Alrighty, next up we have Blueberry Angel Food Cake.  I am almost always drawn to recipes that have few ingredients, and in this case there were only two: angel food cake box mix and a can of pie filling. And it was delicious! I was impressed by the low calorie count that went along with such a tasty sweet. It was best with a little bit of vanilla ice cream on top. 



Somehow I forget to snap pictures of some of our trials (I blame mommy brain), but another recipe we tried was called Ranch Chicken. You mix crushed cornflakes, parmesan cheese, and a ranch dressing dry packet together, dip the chicken in butter and then coat with the cornflake mixture. This was very easy and very tasty. I will definitely make it again. 


Last up is a pancake recipe. These claimed to be 1-point weight watcher pancakes, but after I did the math they are actually 2 points (this was before I made my decision not to follow weight watchers). They were delicious, nonetheless! The recipe called for wheat flour, but I used white since that was all I had. I also only made 5 servings instead of 6. These were a great comfort food and I really enjoyed them. Eden didn't like them though, just as a side note. 



That's it for now! I did want to mention that I tried another pinterest trick of freezing chopped green onions in an empty, cleaned water bottle to be used to top dishes as needed (I always buy a bunch and end up throwing them away before I use them all). Worked like a charm! Didn't lose any flavor in the freezing process and I didn't have to thaw them, they thawed while sitting on the hot dish. Just an extra tidbit for ya! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment